Community Help Groups
Please see below link for further information regarding these local groups and the help that they can offer our patients during the Covid-19 crisis:
Earls Colne Community Action Response Leaflet
Colne Engaine Response Group
Great Tey Community Group
Open The Bag
An estimated £2m of unused medicines are wasted every year in Mid Essex. Of this £2m-worth of unused medicines, it is estimated that:
- £0.7m is being returned to pharmacies because it is not needed.
- £0.6m is kept in the home and is out of date.
- £0.3m is disposed of in care homes.
Once an unwanted medicine has left the pharmacy, it cannot be used for anyone else, even if it hasn't been opened.
By reducing the amount of medicines wasted each year, we could increase the funding available for other vital health services.
What can you do to help??
- When you take medicine away from a pharmacy it has to be paid for by the NHS out of your taxes, if the medicine is not used, this is wasted money.
- If you can't take a medicine tell your GP, pharmacist or nurse.
- Take medicines if you can, tell us if you can't.
- If you need over the counter medicines, like paracetamol, aspirin or ibuprofen you can buy them from your pharmacy or supermarket for as little as 23p a box. Please do not ask for them on prescription.
- If you work in a care home, please take the time to check that your patients need all the medicines prescribed to them.
For more information please visit: http://www.midessexccg.nhs.uk/
PLEASE OPEN THE BAG - If you do not need all the medicine please hand it back at the counter or to the delivery driver.
Disposal of Sharps Bins
Please note that as from 1st January 2019 NHS England has taken the decision that patients will no longer be able to return used sharps bins to the dispensary for disposal. Your local authority has in place arrangements for the disposal of used sharps bins. To find details of your council's clinical waste provision, please click on the link below:
Disposal of Used Sharps Bins
Medication prescribed by other services
Please be aware that The Pump House Surgery team will require 5 working days from receipt of the appropriate paperwork to process all requests received for new medications which have been prescribed by hospital clinics, consultants etc to enable the safe prescribing of the medication.